Check out the latest and greatest Health Wonk Review Election Edition – Mama Says Eat Your Peas and Don’t Forget to Vote. Peggy Salvatore hosts this pre-election edition at Health System Ed blog and while there are several posts related to policy issues are play in the election, there are several other posts too – check it out!
And while on the topic of elections, marijuana legalization is on the ballot in 5 states this election. The states are populous enough that if all were to be approved, the laws would encompass about one quarter of the US population – critical mass for federal legislation? There are also four states with ballot measures to approve medical marijuana. Russell Berman writes about all this in the Atlantic: Marijuana’s Moment.
Must-read: If you haven’t yet read Joe Paduda’s 2-part series on customer service in workers comp, you need to go there now. In part 1, he makes the case that case that customer service functions must be handled internally; in part 2, he offers a case study demonstrating that it’s not about your company’s metrics, cost structure, or “efficiency”, it’s ALL about your customer.
- Serving workers’ comp patients and payers – what works and why
- Part 2 – Serving workers’ comp patients and payers – what works and why
Opiod News from a recent KHN Morning Briefing: The pharmaceutical industry has taken to treating secondary symptoms of opioid abuse with more pills. Meanwhile, even as the U.S. tries to regulate the trade of chemicals used to make fentanyl, a new, extremely potent drug is hitting the streets.
Other noteworthy news
- WCRI Study Examines Drivers of Medical Costs, Impacts of Reforms in States’ WC Systems
- Bob Wilson asks if we can change the culture of workers comp with one word
- Driverless Trucks Are On the Way and the Market Could Be Huge
- Dr. Steven Moskowitz: Recovering from a Catastrophe Begins with a Prediction
- Is the Gig Economy Shifting Gears?
- The future of insurance: A look at the risk landscape of 2025
- OSHA’s Top Ten Violations for 2016
- California: New Workers’ Comp Law on Excluded Employees Causing Headaches
- Reducing Whole Body Vibration to Improve the Safety and Health of Bus Drivers
- Do you have the right fire extinguisher for your workplace?
- More Insurers Disclosing Climate Change Risks, Report Shows
- Citing Shield Law, Judge Dismisses Sandy Hook Families’ Suit Against Gun Manufacturer
- Effective Group Lockout Techniques
- Combustible dust: New OSHA fact sheet offers preventive advice
- Are You Liable for Your Temp’s Safety?